Senior Consultant, Context America
Be at the heart of society’s response to global megatrends
Megatrends, such as climate change, impending resource squeeze, rapid urbanization and dramatic population growth, are revolutionizing global markets. The need for sustainable solutions is creating opportunities for companies to innovate by fortifying their business and brands with authenticity and purpose.
Since 1997, Context has been helping multinationals inject sustainability into their business strategies, listen to their stakeholders and engage their audiences with compelling, authentic stories told in finely crafted words and absorbing images.
We were founded on a sincere commitment to help business innovate and communicate better in a fast-changing world. Nearly 20 years later the challenge continues and the fire of our passion burns undiminished. We really believe that business can save the world, given the freedom and opportunity to demonstrate its ingenuity at creating much-needed wealth.
The Context team is transatlantic, diverse and growing – we work with conviction for our global clients from our offices in London, Los Angeles and New York. We have three core skills:
- Knowledge of sustainability – environment, ethics and social issues
- Strong communications (digital and traditional media) and writing
- Business consultancy
This unique combination enables us to advise clients on strategic sustainability, create winning strategies, and help them communicate effectively with internal and external audiences. Context is proud to work with some of the world’s leading companies including Fedex, The Estée Lauder Companies, GlaxoSmithKline, IKEA and Vodafone.
About the position
You will work closely with clients, managing projects, advising on sustainability topics and communications. You have a good grasp of what sustainability means for business and why companies have to manage issues ranging from ethics and human rights to environmental emissions.
You are a good business writer, capable of producing a detailed sustainability report as well as a tweet and a Facebook posting. You are a sharp analyst, clear thinker, good organiser and happy to persevere through challenging times. You have a good understanding of digital communications channels.
Context works collaboratively with clients and our transatlantic teams, with an emphasis on sharing and mutual support. You enjoy working with others and have the ability to manage and lead teams. You will be enthusiastic about promoting the work of Context and be keen to sell our services to new and existing clients.
This is an ideal opportunity for a hard-working and creative leader with a passion for sustainability and business who likes working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Client Management – Project manage key client relationships contributing directly to their sustainability strategy, reporting and communications.
- Business Development – Work to identify and pursue new business opportunities and prepare proposals.
- Sustainability Reporting – Devise, plan and write corporate sustainability reports and other sustainability communications for multinational clients.
- Communications strategy – Help devise and implement sustainability communications strategies for clients with a focus on digital media.
- Project Management – Provide strategic oversight and planning for junior staff to fulfil commitments and delight our clients.
- Staff Development – Provide guidance and direction to help develop junior staff and enhance Context expertise.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – able to write clear English to deadlines.
- At least four years of professional experience with experience in communications and/or corporate sustainability. Agency, PR and in-house corporate roles are most relevant.
- Master’s degree preferred but not essential.
- A passion for sustainability and a desire to be fluent in the full range of corporate sustainability topics.
- A keen interest in business and an understanding of the corporate world.
- An outgoing personality and a passion for client service and relationship building.
- A full understanding of digital communications media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint).
Must be authorized to work in the USA.
Apply by sending a current resumé and cover letter
We will contact you directly regarding next steps.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Context’s three month internship programme is designed to give successful applicants experience in a professional consultancy environment advising on sustainability strategy and communications.
Context interns get involved in all aspects of our work, including research, writing, client meetings and brainstorming sessions. As a guide, this may include:
- Writing briefing documents and PowerPoint presentations
- Researching and writing copy for reports
- Writing case studies
- Proof reading and formatting
- Making notes at meetings
- Writing blog entries and news stories for our website
- Benchmarking and sector comparison exercises
- Researching and writing GRI reports
- Providing research for stakeholder engagement events
- Researching and booking outside venues for events
- Participating in meetings, brainstorming sessions and events.
You will also have some specific responsibilities such as updating our marketing database.
What we’re looking for
We look for interns who are enthusiastic, hard working and creative. You will have a degree and be able to demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a career in corporate sustainability consulting. This may come from your studies or some work experience you have recently done.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential as a large part of our work is writing and we also want you to feel comfortable and confident when speaking to clients. You need to be confident working with data and a proficient user of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. You must also be prepared to help out with some administration tasks that are a part of running a business.
We don’t think anyone should work for free. We expect a lot from our interns and think it’s fair that they are properly rewarded.
How to apply
To register your interest in future internships in London, please send your CV and a letter, explaining how you meet our requirements and why you would make a great intern, to Pete Statham at Pete.Statham@contexteurope.com.
Interested in applying to our internship programme in New York? We want to hear from you! Please send a resume and cover letter on why you would be a great fit to Daniel Liswood at Daniel.Liswood@contextamerica.com.
Our business is growing, so we’re always on the look-out for great people to join our team. If you’re a creative thinker with a passion for sustainability and strong writing and project management skills, we’d like to hear from you.
All our consultants get fully involved in helping clients develop and communicate their sustainability strategies – working with recognised sustainability leaders as well as companies just starting out.
To apply, write to us explaining why you’d make a great sustainability consultant, and attach a copy of your CV.
UK: Peter Knight
US: Jaycee Pribulsky